The duckduckgo.com is a lethal browser hijacker virus that often spread through the freeware downloads, and shareware programs. Once installed, this malicious application performs various illegal activities within your system and changes the crucial system settings without the consent of the user. Once installed, the duckduckgo.com also changes the browser settings and you will notice that many of important browser settings including the home page, default search engine, and the desktop background is modified. This extremely dangerous browser hijacker is capable of redirecting all your web searches towards malicious websites where you can get additional infections. This malicious application is designed in a way that it can easily access your financial information in order to steal your money. Besides that, this computer virus can reduce the overall performance of your PC, and also modifies the windows registry by adding the corrupt entries.
The Manual Removal of Http://duckduckgo.com
After confirming the presence of the duckduckgo.com browser hijacker, you are required to delete this lethal infection from your system. For novice users there are some reliable automatic removal tools available through which they can easily remove this virus. Besides that, there is the manual removal method also available which is consisting of the following steps and only recommended for the advanced level computer users:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You cannot remove such stubborn viruses in the normal mode of operation; therefore, you are required to reboot the system in the safe mode after terminating the normal mode. You have to restart the system and use the F8 key to access the boot options menu where you have to select the safe mode option before hitting the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
With the help of Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys you can access the windows task manager where you have to click on the Processes tab. Under this tab you can see all the running processes of the system from where you have to find and delete the following malicious processes before closing the task manager window:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Open the system files folder, and delete the following associated data of the duckduckgo.com browser hijacker infection:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, do not forget to reverse the modifications in the windows registry. This can be done by accessing the registry editor. The registry editor can be accessed by running the “regedit” command through the start menu. Once the registry editor is visible on the screen, you have to remove the following corrupt entries and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Http://duckduckgo.com\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Http://duckduckgo.com\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Http://duckduckgo.com\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Http://duckduckgo.com\DisplayName Http://duckduckgo.com
Restart the machine in the normal mode to analyze the success of the manual removal process, and run a complete system scan through an updated version of any reliable antivirus program to remove the infections caused by this browser hijacker.