The Homeland Security/Money Pak Ransomware is a malicious application that is categorized as a rogue application, and enters in the computers without the permission of the users. Once installed, the Homeland Security/Money Pak Ransomware locks the computer completely, and display a fake notification by using the National Cyber Security Division, Homeland Security Department. Keep in mind that this is a bogus notification that is only used to threaten the innocent computer users. You are asked to pay $300 fine in order to unlock your computer as you have violated the law, but even if you pay such huge amount, your computer will never un-locked by these cyber criminals. This malicious application spreads through the freeware downloads and the spam email attachments.
The Manual Removal of Homeland Security/Money Pak Ransomware
When it is confirmed that your system is compromised to the Homeland Security/Money Pak Ransomware, your objective is to delete this tricky ransomware application as quickly as possible. There are some reliable automatic tools available in this regard. Besides that, you can also remove this malicious application manually by following the steps described below:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
Before starting the manual removal of this tricky ransomware, you have to start the computer in the safe mode instead of the normal mode. In this regard, simply restart the infected computer and use the F8 key to reach the boot options. Select the safe mode option before pressing the enter key.
Kill the Associated Processes
Once the system start operating in the safe mode, you need to remove the associated processes of this dangerous ransomware application. In this regard, you have to open the windows task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Select the processes tab once the task manager window appeared on the screen, and remove the following processes from that list with the help of the “End Process” button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
Open the system files folder, and delete the following suspicious files from there along with the folders.
- %Desktopdir%\Homeland Security/Money Pak.lnk
- %Programs%\Homeland Security/Money Pak\Homeland Security/Money Pak.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, you have to get rid of the corrupt entries created in the windows registry by the Homeland Security/Money Pak Ransomware. You can open the registry editor with the help of “RegEdit” command through “Run” option available in the “Start Menu”. Delete the following associated entries once you are able to access the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Homeland Security/Money Pak\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Homeland Security/Money Pak
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Homeland Security/Money Pak\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Homeland Security/Money Pak\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Homeland Security/Money Pak\DisplayName Homeland Security/Money Pak
After successful removal of these entries, close the registry editor, and restart the computer in the normal mode. Besides that, you also requires to run a complete system scan on your computer after updating the antivirus software already installed on your computer.