The Hijack.Shell.Gen is another malicious computer worm that often sneaks in the computers without providing any hint to the user. The basic purpose of developing as well as distributing the Hijack.Shell.Gen is, to steal the most confidential personal details of highly selective targeted users. These details may include the emails, passwords, credit card information, online banking details, and browsing history. These details are accessed to extravagant the illegal profits, and achieve other financial benefits. Once installed, this nasty infection modifies the default system settings, such as home page, default browser, search provider, and desktop without your permission. The developers of this malicious application use the hacked web pages, social networks, email attachments, peer to peer sharing of files, and downloading free software from untrusted websites. This nasty infection keeps redirecting you towards unknown places, and phishing websites to force you to purchase unwanted products from the unknown suppliers. It is also used by the hackers to download additional malware on your system.
Removal of Hijack.Shell.Gen
After knowing that the Hijack.Shell.Gen invades your system, you have to remove this nasty infection as quickly as possible. There are some effective methods available in this regard, and you have to select one according to your abilities. The automatic removal is easy as well as quick; whereas, the manual removal is difficult for the novice computer users. The instructions for the manual removal are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
It is important to boot the infected computer in the safe mode before proceeding with the manual removal. You can get access of the boot options screen by restarting the computer, and using the F8 key while the system is restarted. Once you are able to see the list of boot options, select the safe mode, and strike the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
Kill the associated processes of the Hijack.Shell.Gen infection. In this regard, open the task manager with the help of the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and click on the Processes tab to see the list of processes running in the background. Remove the following malicious processes by using the “End Process” button before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After getting rid of the associated processes, you have to remove the following malicious files, associated with the Hijack.Shell.Gen from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You have to remove the modifications created by this infection in the windows registry. In this regard, open the registry editor by executing the RegEdit command through the Run option in the Start Menu. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to get rid of the following malicious entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\www-search.net\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\www-search.net\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\www-search.net\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\www-search.net\DisplayName www-search.net
Restart your computer in the normal mode to check the effectiveness of the manual removal efforts. And do not forget to run a complete system scan.