The Hijack.Shell.Gen is an especially designed Trojan infection to infect the computers using windows operating system, and gain the control of the browsing activities of the targeted users. This malicious application installed on the system without your consent, and once installed, it cannot be detected or removed through normal antivirus application. The Hijack.Shell.Gen is distributed through phishing websites, social engineering, email campaigns, and video codec downloads. As long as this virus remains in the system, the user remains worried about the overall performance of the computer. You will also notice that the speed of your browser also affected badly because of this Trojan infection. This nasty Trojan keeps diverting you towards illegal domains, and phishing websites whenever you try to surf on the web. This malicious Trojan hides itself very deep along with some of the crucial system files, and can replicate itself to avoid traditional detection methods. You cannot access many of the important websites, and system utilities such as registry editor, and task manager.
Removal of Hijack.Shell.Gen
Once it is confirmed, that the system becomes corrupt because of this Trojan infection, you have to find a way to get yourself out of this dangerous situation. There are some excellent automatic tools available through which you can easily remove this virus. Besides that, the Hijack.Shell.Gen can also be removed manually. The manual removal is a bit complicated, and consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
To execute the different steps of the manual removal process, you have to reboot the infected computer in the safe mode. Restart the PC, and use the F8 key repeatedly to get the access of the boot options menu. After accessing the boot options screen, highlight the Safe Mode option by using the arrow keys before pressing the Enter button.
End the Malicious Processes
You are required to remove the associated processes of the Hijack.Shell.Gen to proceed further in this manual removal effort. Open the task manager, click on the processes tab, and remove the following malicious processes associated with this malicious Trojan before closing the windows task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Access the system files folder, and remove the following associated files of the Hijack.Shell.Gen at your earliest:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Clean the windows registry in order to complete the manual removal of this nasty Trojan. In this regard, open the registry editor by executing the RegEdit command through the Run option in the Start Menu. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to get rid of the following malicious entries before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Hijack.shell.gen.a\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Hijack.shell.gen.a\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Hijack.shell.gen.a\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Hijack.shell.gen.a\DisplayName Hijack.shell.gen.a
Restart your PC in the normal mode to see the success or failure of your efforts, and also run a system scan through an updated version of your current antivirus.