The Highlightly Ads is a dangerous adware infection that is designed to infect all versions of windows operating system including the Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows NT. Once installed, the Highlightly Ads make several unwanted changes in the system without your permission which can make your system completely useless. Once this malicious application settles down at the computer, it starts tracking your online activity, and all your personal information including the credit card details is at risk. This is a severe infection that can cause several threats to the system after modifying the windows registry, and destroy the important system files. You cannot download any security related software on the system as long as this virus remains in the system, and most of the system utilities remained inaccessible. This malicious application modifies the home page, desktop background, DNS settings, and windows firewall to take complete control of your browsing activities.
Removal of Highlightly Ads
Once your system starts showing the symptoms of the Highlightly Ads infection, you need to take some immediate steps after confirming its presence. You can remove this adware infection manually as well as automatically. The manual removal of this nasty adware is not an easy task, and consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You cannot proceed to the manual removal of the Highlightly Ads unless you do not start the system in the safe mode. In this regard, you have to restart the computer and access the list of boot options by hitting the F8 key repeatedly. Select the safe mode before hitting the Enter key to open the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode, you have to kill the associated processes of the Highlightly Ads infection. In this regard, hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the task manager, and click on the processes tab to see the list of processes. Find and remove the following processes from the list before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
You are also required to delete the associated data of the Highlightly Ads from the system files folder. Following are some of the suspicious files that you have to remove quickly:-
- %Desktopdir%\Highlightly Ads.lnk
- %Programs%\Highlightly Ads\Highlightly Ads.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, you have to remove the suspicious entries from the windows registry. Open the registry editor by selecting the start menu, choose Run option, and type Regedit in the box. Once the registry editor is accessed, delete the following entries associated with the Highlightly Ads:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Highlightly Ads\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Highlightly Ads
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Highlightly Ads\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Highlightly Ads\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Highlightly Ads\DisplayName Highlightly Ads
You must boot the system in the normal mode after closing the registry editor. If this malicious application is removed successfully, you have to run a complete system scan through any reliable antivirus program.