The HackTool:Win32/Patch.L is a malicious application installed on the millions of computers all over the world without the consent of the user. Initially it was developed by the online criminals to steal the precious information of the targeted users. This information includes their identities, passwords, bank details, credit card details, shopping preferences, and browsing habits, but now it is a multipurpose spyware that is also used to promote illegal products through pop-up ads, and redirects all the searches of the user towards certain websites where you are encouraged to buy some unauthentic products. The HackTool:Win32/Patch.L has the ability to mutate itself to the other locations available on the same network, and hides itself intelligently deep in the system files. You can easily get infected from this malicious spyware if you perform unsafe browsing, accept online offers, download freeware, and open attachments received through spam emails. Once this threat is detected in your computer, you need to remove it at your earliest in order to minimize the damage caused by this malware.
Manual Removal Process of HackTool:Win32/Patch.L
After detecting this application on your computer you can remove it by using an automatic removal tool, or by following complicated instructions of the manual removal method. Following are the instructions of manual removal process of HackTool:Win32/Patch.L.
Start the Computer in Safe Mode
First you need to restart the computer, press F8 key, and when you are able to see the boot options, you have to select the safe mode, and hit the enter button. This will restart your computer in the safe mode instead of the normal mode.
Delete the Malicious Processes
After restarting the computer in safe mode, you have to delete the associated processes of this malicious application. The running processes are visible in the processes option of the windows task manager, where you have to find and delete the following malicious processes. The task manager can be started by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together.
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Files and Folders
Once the malicious processes are stopped, now you can move towards the next step in which you need to delete the associated and infected files as well as folders. In this regard, you have to use the file explorer, and locate the following files to delete them with the help of Delete key:-
Delete Registry Entries
The final step of manual removal process is deleting the corrupt registry entries which can be removed by using the registry editor. To start the registry editor you have to press the Start button, select Run, and type Regedit in the box. Once the registry editor is started, you have to navigate and delete the following entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HackTool:Win32/Patch.L\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HackTool:Win32/Patch.L\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HackTool:Win32/Patch.L\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\HackTool:Win32/Patch.L\DisplayName HackTool:Win32/Patch.L
When you are done, you have to close the registry editor, and restart the computer in the normal mode to see the effectiveness of the manual removal method.