The GreatSave4u popup is a malicious application that installed as a browser extension, and start performing destructive activities in your system. It can infect all the browsers like Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome. This nasty computer infection is categorized as an adware infection that is distributed by the hackers to achieve the monetary benefits through unethical techniques. Once this virus slips in the computer, it starts showing the pop-up ads in the bulk quantity on the screen of your PC whenever you try to surf on the web. Mostly, this malicious application enters in the system automatically without any kind of manual interaction. You will notice the gradual decline in the performance of your computer, and the speed of your browsing also affected badly. It also monitors your browsing sessions, and steal your personal information that can be used in the online crimes. The purpose of developing this adware is to generate money through illegal ways.
Removal of GreatSave4u popup
After realizing the presence of the GreatSave4u popup adware infection in the system, you have to take some immediate steps to remove this application completely. There are some effective automatic tools available to get rid of this adware program. Besides that the manual removal process is also available in this regard, that is detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You can remove this virus manually after accessing the safe mode on the infected PC. Restart the computer to terminate the normal mode, and access the boot options menu by hitting the F8 key while the system is restarted. Select the safe mode option and strike the enter key to access the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the windows task manager. Click on the Processes tab under the task manager window to see the list of processes. Remove the following suspicious processes associated with the GreatSave4u popup by using the “End Process” button before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You are required to remove the following files related to the GreatSave4u popup from the system files folder by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\GreatSave4u Pop-up Ads.lnk
- %Programs%\GreatSave4u Pop-up Ads\GreatSave4u Pop-up Ads.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the final step, you have to remove the corrupt entries created by this infection in the windows registry. Open the registry editor through RegEdit command which can be executed through Run option available in the start menu. Delete the following associated entries of the GreatSave4u popup before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GreatSave4u Pop-up Ads\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GreatSave4u Pop-up Ads
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GreatSave4u Pop-up Ads\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GreatSave4u Pop-up Ads\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GreatSave4u Pop-up Ads\DisplayName GreatSave4u Pop-up Ads
Check the success of the manual removal efforts by restarting the system in the normal mode. Update your existing antivirus to run a complete system scan.