The Gotostat.ru is a malicious application that is considered as the browser hijacker. Once downloaded in any system, it is able to infect all the browsers installed on that computer including Google Chrome, Firefox, and I.E. It has the ability to disable your antivirus software, and other security tools. The Gotostat. Ru can modify the system files, change DNS settings, and alter the windows host file. This malicious application has the ability to change your home page in a way that even if you change it back, it will automatically change again within just a few minutes. This dangerous parasite is capable of making your system completely useless, and cause permanent damage to the infected computer. It remains resident in the background, and every time you start your windows, it will run automatically. The basic purpose of developing such a dangerous browser hijacker is to redirect searches, and generate traffic on the desired websites.
How to Remove Gotostat.ru manually?
There are different ways of getting rid of this tricky browser hijacker. You can get rid of it easily with the help of any powerful automatic tool within just a few clicks of the mouse. If you are a computer expert, you can also try the manual removal method which is described as under:-
Reboot the Computer in the Safe Mode
To remove the Gotostat.ru manually, you have to terminate the normal mode of the infected computer, by rebooting the system in the safe mode. You have to restart the machine, and use F8 key to see the different boot options. You have to choose the safe mode option from that list.
Delete the Malicious Processes
After starting the computer in the safe mode, the next thing you have to do is end the processes that are related to the Gotostat.ru. You have to open the task manager by using Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and hit the processes tab to find and delete the following processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
After removing the processes, you have to delete the files and folders created by this dangerous threat. You have to open the file explorer, and browse through the various folders, especially the system files folder to find and delete the following associated files of the Gotostat.ru:-
Clean the Windows Registry
To clean the windows registry, you have to first open the registry editor by using the regedit command which can be executed through Run option available in the Start menu. Once the registry editor started, you have to find and delete the following malicious registry entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Gotostat.ru\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Gotostat.ru\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Gotostat.ru\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Gotostat.ru\DisplayName Gotostat.ru
After removing all of the above mentioned entries, you have to close the registry editor, and restart the computer again in the normal mode. Update your existing antivirus program, and run a complete system scan on the infected system to avoid any future infections.