The Got.drivemace.net is a malicious application categorized as a browser hijacker, but presents itself as a legitimate search engine. This is a trap for the new users, and in reality, the Got.drivemace.net is nothing but a fake application that is designed to control your browsing activity, and gin the financial benefits. The hackers distribute this nasty browser hijacker through spam emails, peer to peer sharing, removable storage devices, social media, and compromised web pages. Once this malicious application is entered in the computer, it corrupts registry entries, add malevolent files, and provoke the blue screen error frequently on the system. This nasty browser hijacker creates the privacy issues in the system, record the keywords, and collects your highly sensitive information. It also modifies the browser configuration in order to take the control of your browsing. It also invites other malware, spyware, and ransomware in the system without your permission.
Removal of Got.drivemace.net
After knowing that the Got.drivemace.net browser hijacker takes over your system, your first priority is, remove this dangerous infection at the earliest. There are manual as well as automatic removal options available, and you have to select a method according to your level of expertise. The instructions for the manual removal of this malicious application are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
It is compulsory to boot the computer in the safe mode, because manual removal instructions cannot be executed by remaining in the normal mode of operation. In this regard, you have to open the boot options menu by using the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. Once the boot options menu is accessed, select the safe mode, and press the Enter key to boot the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the safe mode is accessed, you have to take care of the malicious processes associated with this threat. Access the task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the Processes tab to find and delete the following associated processes of this browser hijacker by using the “End Process” button before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Proceed to the system files folder through file explorer, and remove the following suspicious files associated with the Got.drivemace.net:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, you have to complete the manual removal process by removing the fake entries from the windows registry. Access the registry editor by executing the Regedit command through the Run option available in the Start menu. Remove the following suspicious entries from the windows registry once the registry editor is accessed:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Got.drivemace.net\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Got.drivemace.net\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Got.drivemace.net\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Got.drivemace.net\DisplayName Got.drivemace.net
Restart the computer in the normal mode to see the success of the manual removal efforts, and do not forget to run a complete system scan through an updated version of any reliable antivirus program.