The Glitterfun Web Search is a malicious application that comes under the category of browser hijacker viruses. This tricky parasite enters in the windows based computers without the consent of the user, and immediately change the settings of the default browser in the infected system. This virus always bundled with the additional parasites, and spreads through malicious websites, spam email attachments, and social media links. This application can infect most of the popular browsers including the Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox. Once installed, the Glitterfun Web Search blocks your access towards the internet settings so that you are unable to reverse the changes made by this malicious virus. This parasite can redirect all your searches towards the unknown and compromised web pages so that you are not being able to open any website. Besides that, this dangerous browser hijacker modify your system settings as well as the registry settings to remain resident in the system for a longer period of time.
The Manual Removal of Glitterfun Web Search
Once your system infected from the Glitterfun Web Search , you have to remove this virus at your earliest . You can delete this malicious application manually, and also automatically. Keep in mind that manual removal of this tricky and stubborn virus is not only complicated, but also very difficult. Following are the instructions for manual removal of this infection:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
You have to terminate the normal mode by restarting the computer and press F8 key repeatedly while the computer is in restarting process to access the boot options menu. Once the boot options are accessed, you have to select the safe mode option and hit the enter key to restart the computer in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
Press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to start the windows task manager, and select the process tab in that window where you can see all the running process. Delete the following associated processes of the Glitterfun Web Search from the list by selecting them one by one and pressing the “End Process” button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
Delete the following associated files of this malicious application from the system files folder:-
- %Desktopdir%\Glitterfun Web Search.lnk
- %Programs%\Glitterfun Web Search\Glitterfun Web Search.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Clean the windows registry by accessing the registry editor. The registry editor can be started by selecting the Run option available in the start menu, and type RegEdit in the box. Once you have opened the registry editor, find and delete the following corrupt entries, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Glitterfun Web Search\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Glitterfun Web Search
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Glitterfun Web Search\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Glitterfun Web Search\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Glitterfun Web Search\DisplayName Glitterfun Web Search
Restart the infected computer in the normal mode to see how effectively you have removed this virus manually. Update the antivirus before running a complete system scan.