The GetGo Toolbar is a malicious application that presents itself as a community toolbar that can be installed on all the popular browsers including the Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer, and Firefox. Once installed, this lethal toolbar starts collecting the information about your browsing history, and then send it to the hackers remotely who use this information for commercial purposes. Mostly, this toolbar is used to generate the traffic on the low ranked web pages and improve their ranking among the search engines. This lethal toolbar virus can destroy your system resources, and you are unable to access some of the basic system utilities including the registry editor, and task manager. The GetGo Toolbar is used for the variety of purposes including the pop-up ads, fake alerts, and commercial advertisement. This lethal toolbar is used by hackers to compromise the privacy of the targeted computers, and affect the performance as well as efficiency of the system negatively. This infection hides itself deep in the roots to avoid any kind of detection or removal efforts by the users.
The Manual Removal of GetGo Toolbar
This malicious application needed to be deal accordingly once it is found inside the system. You can get rid of the GetGo Toolbar manually, or by selecting any reliable automatic removal tool. The manual removal method of this lethal toolbar is described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You are required to terminate the normal mode by restarting the PC, and use the F8 key while the system is restarting to access the booting choices. Select the safe mode option from the available choices, and press the Enter key to boot the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
The next important step is removal of the associated processes of the GetGo Toolbar virus; you have to access the windows task manager. The list of processes running in the background of the PC is available under the processes tab in the task manager window. You must remove the following associated processes of this lethal parasite:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Find as well as remove the following associated files of the GetGo Toolbar infection hidden in the system files folder of your local hard drive:-
- %Desktopdir%\GetGo Toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\GetGo Toolbar\GetGo Toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Access the registry editor by clicking on the start menu, select “Run”, and write “regedit.exe” before pressing the “OK” button. You have to delete the following corrupt entries associated with the GetGo Toolbar once the registry editor is accessed:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GetGo Toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GetGo Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GetGo Toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GetGo Toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GetGo Toolbar\DisplayName GetGo Toolbar
Reboot the computer in the normal mode after closing the registry editor, and run a complete system scan through an updated version of your current antivirus so that the infections caused by this toolbar infection can be removed.