The GetGo Search is a dangerous computer infection categorized as a browser hijacker that sneaks in the widnows based computers and perform harmful activities without the consent of the user. The GetGo Search virus redirect all the searching efforts of the users towards malicious websites after settling down in the system. This malicious application is a weapon for the notorious cyber criminals to record your browsing activities, and run targeted pop-up ads relevant to your interests. The GetGo Search virus install on the system as a browser extension, and it can enter in all the popular browsers including the Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. This malicious application is used by the developers to promote affiliate products, display third party advertisement, and other commercial purposes to make money by using the unethical methods. The GetGo Search is used by the hackers to access your confidential financial as well as personal details.
The Manual Removal of GetGo Search
Once it become obvious that the system is compromised to the GetGo Search virus, you have to remove this infection by using any effective method. The automatic tools to get rid of this browser hijacker are available. Besides that, the manual removal of this virus is also possible yet complicated. Following are the instructions for the manual removal of the GetGo Search:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
First of all you have to restart the computer, and use the F8 key to get the access of the boot options. After accessing the boot options, you have to select the safe mode before pressing the Enter key to restart the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the processes tab to see a list of processes running in the background of your computer. Remove the following associated processes of the GetGo Search virus and close the windows task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After removing the associated processes of the GetGo Search infection successfully, you have to proceed to the next step of this process which is removal of the associated data. Open the file explorer and delete the following associated files of the GetGo Search infection from the system files folder:-
- %Desktopdir%\GetGo Search.lnk
- %Programs%\GetGo Search\GetGo Search.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The manual removal will be completed when you rectify the errors in the windows registry. You can alter the windows registry by using the registry editor which can be accessed by executing the RegEdit.exe command through Start menu. Once the registry editor is accessed, delete the following corrupt entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GetGo Search\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GetGo Search
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GetGo Search\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GetGo Search\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\GetGo Search\DisplayName GetGo Search
Reboot the computer to, and run a complete system scan through an updated version of any reliable antivirus program to remove the infections caused by this lethal browser hijacker.