The FreeSOFTtoday is another variation of recently developed and distributed adware programs that are extremely harmful. This malicious application always installed as a browser extension that can infect all the popular browsers including the Mozilla Firefox, Safari, and Google Chrome. Once installed, it start showing the pop-up messages on the screen of your system. Most of these pop-up ads are regarding coupon deals and discounted offers. Whenever you opens your browser, you will start receiving the pop-up messages due to which it is almost impossible to perform the surfing freely. Technically speaking, we can say the FreeSOFTtoday is not a virus, but it is an adware that is used by the hackers as an advertising platform to promote third party products, and generate traffic on the affiliate sites to gain the commercial benefits. Apart from above mentioned harmfiul activities, this adware also creates the data privacy issues among the infected system.
Removal of FreeSOFTtoday
The FreeSOFTtoday is an extremely stubborn adware program that can creates a number of issues in the system, due to whjich it is extremely important that you remove this virus as quickly as possible. You can get rid of this adware with the help of any automatic tool that is easily available online. Apart from that, the manual removal process is also available in this regard, which is extremely complicated, and consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You must boot the infected computer in the safe mode so that you can proceed further in the manual removal process. Restart the computer, and open the boot options menu by striking the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. Once the boot options are visible on the screen, select the safe mode option, and press the Enter key which gives you the access of the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Access the task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and select the processes tab to delete the following suspicious processes before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
After getting rid of the associated processes, you need to delete the following associated files from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Once you are done with all the above mentioned issues, you have to take care of the windows registry by removing the entries created by this adware infection. In this regard, access the registry editor by clicking on the start menu, select the Run option, and write regedit in the box. You have to remove the following corrupt entries after accessing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FreeSoftToday\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FreeSoftToday\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FreeSoftToday\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FreeSoftToday\DisplayName FreeSoftToday
Close the registry editor, and access the system in the normal mode to see the success or failure of the manual removal efforts. Run a complete system scan through any reliable antivirus program.