The Freemium 2 Toolbar is a malicious application classified as a browser hijacker, and designed to hijack all the major browsers including the Google Chrome, as well as Mozilla Firefox. Immediately after its arrival in the system, the Freemium 2 Toolbar modifies most of the browser configuration in order to take the complete control of your online activity. This dangerous browser hijacker distributed through spam emails, p2p sharing, unsafe browsing, and using corrupt external storage devices. Once this nasty infection enters in the system, all your information stored on the hard drive is at risk, and the hackers can steal your personal details remotely. The cyber crooks use this virus as an effective tool to display fake pop-up alerts, sponsored links, and commercial advertisement. The cyber thugs enveloped this malicious application wisely, and it is not possible for you to detect this infection through any antivirus tool.
Removal of Freemium 2 Toolbar
After confirming the availability of the Freemium 2 Toolbar, you have to select a method to remove this infection without wasting a single minute. There are some powerful automatic tools available through which you can get rid of this infection with extreme ease, besides that, there is a manual removal method also available. This manual process is a bit complicated that is only recommended to the experienced computer users, and described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Restart the infected system, and use the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted to access the boot options menu. Once, the boot options are visible on the screen, you have to select the safe mode, and hit the enter key to boot the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Start the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the Processes tab in the task manager window. Under this tab, you have to kill the following malicious processes associated with the Freemium 2 Toolbar by using the “End Process“ button before closing the task manager window:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Following are the suspicious files hidden in the system files folder that you have to remove by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Freemium 2 Toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\Freemium 2 Toolbar\Freemium 2 Toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
This process only completed when you clean the windows registry by removing the entries created by this browser hijacker. Access the registry editor by executing the Regedit command through Run option available in the start menu. Once the registry editor is started, delete the following entries associated with the Freemium 2 Toolbar:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Freemium 2 Toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Freemium 2 Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Freemium 2 Toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Freemium 2 Toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Freemium 2 Toolbar\DisplayName Freemium 2 Toolbar
Reboot the computer once again in the normal mode, and if the Freemium 2 Toolbar is removed successfully, run a complete system scan after updating the existing antivirus program.