The Freecorder Toolbar is a malicious application that comes under the category of browser hijackers. It has the ability to redirect all your searches towards certain promotional websites. The Freecorder Toolbar presents itself as a legitimate service that helps users in their online searches; however, in reality, it is nothing more than a parasite. This malicious application has the ability to hijack all your browsers, and change their DNS settings so that all your searches diverted towards the desired website where you are encouraged to buy certain products. Besides that, the Freecorder Toolbar can also change your security settings, resultantly; your system becomes vulnerable to other similar parasites. This toolbar is considered as the dangerous parasite that can harm your computer, and can steal your important data. Once it is detected in your computer, you need to remove it quickly to minimize the loss.
Manual Removal of Freecorder Toolbar
Once you have discovered that your system is compromised to the Freecorder Toolbar browser hijacker you need to get rid of this parasite at the earliest. You can remove this either by using an automatic tool, or by following the complicated steps of the manual removal method which are stated below:-
Start the Computer in Safe Mode
The first thing which you need to do is restart the computer, and press F8 key. This will bring a boot option menu on your screen from which you have to select the first option which is Safe Mode, and hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
Delete the Malicious Processes
Once you have successfully rebooted the computer in the safe mode, you need to get rid of the malicious associated process of this dangerous browser hijacker. In this regard, you need to hold Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together which opens the windows task manager, where you have to click on the processes tab. In the running processes list, you have to find and delete the following processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Files and Folders
Once you have successfully removed the processes, you need to delete the following associated files and folders by using the file explorer:-
- %Desktopdir%\Freecorder Toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\Freecorder Toolbar\Freecorder Toolbar.lnk
Delete Registry Entries
Once you have finished deleting the malicious files and folders associated with the Freecorder Toolbar, you need to clear the windows registry. Whenever this malicious application installed on any computer, it creates some corrupt registry entries which you need to remove to complete the manual removal process. First of all you have to go to the start menu, and select the Run option where you have to type “regedit”, and press “OK” to open the registry editor. By using the registry editor you have to navigate towards the following registry entries and delete them:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Freecorder Toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Freecorder Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Freecorder Toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Freecorder Toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Freecorder Toolbar\DisplayName Freecorder Toolbar
After deleting the above mentioned entries, you have to close the registry editor and restart the computer in the safe mode.