The Fox News Toolbar is a dangerous computer virus categorized as a browser hijacker and installed on the windows based system without the permission of the users. This malicious application spreads through spam email campaigns, and downloading freeware. Once installed on any computer, the Fox News Toolbar changes all the settings in the browser to take the complete control of the browsing activities of the user. This tricky browser hijacker redirects all your searching efforts towards phishing websites which is often annoying as you are unable to perform your normal browsing. Besides that, you will also notice that countless pop-up ads appear on the screen of your PC more frequently to disturb your normal working. To start automatically, this malicious application also alters your windows registry. This is an effective tool of the hackers to access the personal financial information from the targeted PC and use it to steal the money of the users through online frauds and other cyber crimes.
The Manual Removal of Fox News Toolbar
Once you are confirmed that your computer is compromised to the Fox News Toolbar, you have to remove this virus quickly in order to protect your sensitive data and computer resources. It is your choice that you want to remove this malicious browser hijacker manually, or through any reliable automatic removal tool. The automatic removal is easy; whereas, the manual removal is a bit complicated for the novice users. The steps involved in the manual removal are described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Reboot the system, and use the F8 button to see the boot options screen. Select the safe mode option before hitting the Enter key to restart the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
After rebooting the infected system in the safe mode of operation, your next task is to end the malicious processes started by the Fox News Toolbar browser hijacker. In this regard, you are required to access the windows task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and hit the Processes tab to see the list of running processes. You have to identify as well as remove the following processes from this list:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the removal of corrupt processes, you have to open the system files folder and remove the following files:-
- %Desktopdir%\Fox News Toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\Fox News Toolbar\Fox News Toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Select the Run option available in the Start Menu, and write “RegEdit” to access the registry editor. Your objective is to remove the following entries associated with the Fox News Toolbar before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Fox News Toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Fox News Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Fox News Toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Fox News Toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Fox News Toolbar\DisplayName Fox News Toolbar
To complete this process, you have to reboot the computer in the normal mode to see the success of this process.