The Filecoder is one of the most lethal computer infections of recent times, and often attacks the computer secretly without providing any prior information to the user. Soon after getting itself installed on the system, the Filecoder virus starts performing a number of malicious activities on the PC and every time you start your PC, this application runs automatically. The main reason of developing such lethal virus is to steal the most confidential details of the targeted users. This information may include the browsing history, bank account credentials, and credit/debit card details. This malicious application has the capability of corrupt your important system files due to which the overall performance of the PC degrades considerably. The Filecoder infection can drop a number of junk files in the system files folder of your local drive due to which the PC start acting weirdly.
The Manual Removal of Filecoder
Once you come to know that the PC is infected by the Filecoder virus, you have to find an effective way to get rid of this virus quickly. There are some reliable automatic removal tools available to get rid of this browser hijacker, but you can also remove this virus manually. The manual removal method is lengthy and described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Reboot the computer and use the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options menu while the system is being restarted. Once you are able to see the boot options appear on the screen, select the safe mode option and press the enter key to start the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
In the safe mode, you can access the task manager to delete the associated files of this virus. In this regard, you have to open the windows task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once the task manager is accessed, click on the processes tab where you can see the list of running processes. You have to delete the following associated processes from the list one by one:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Delete the following suspicious files along with their folders hidden deep in the system files folder with the help of the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Cleaning the registry section of your windows operating system is one of the most important steps of the manual removal method. In this regard, you have to access the registry editor by executing the “RegEdit” command through the “Run” option available in the “Start Menu”. Once the registry editor is visible on the screen, delete the following suspicious entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Filecoder\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Filecoder\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Filecoder\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Filecoder\DisplayName Filecoder
Restart the computer in the normal mode after closing the registry editor to see whether the manual removal is successful or otherwise. Run a complete system scan on the system through an updated version of any reliable antivirus software.