The FileBulldog is just another variation of recently distributed browser hijackers that are developed to take over the windows based computers. This malicious application slips in the system without getting the consent of the user, and immediately after arriving in the computer, it performs several harmful activities. Once this nasty browser hijacker enters into the computer, it modifies the default settings in the computer and take over your browser, regardless of what browser you are using including the Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari. It traps user by saying that this is a helpful application that provides personalized search services, but in reality this is a browser hijacker. This browser hijacker keeps showing you the tons of the pop-up messages to promote low ranked websites, and redirects you towards unknown places where you can easily get infected from dangerous malware programs. The hackers also use this virus to increase the traffic on some affiliate sites and make commissions from pay per click programs.
Removal of FileBulldog
After knowing that the system is compromised to the FileBulldog browser hijacker, your goal is to get rid of this infection in a way that it will never come back. You can use any reliable automatic tool to get rid of this infection within quick time. The manual removal is also possible, but it is extremely difficult for the novice computer users. The steps involved in the manual removal of this virus are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The manual removal process can be executed, once you are able to boot the computer in the safe mode. Restart the system from the Start menu, and strike the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted to access the boot options. Select the safe mode option before pressing the Enter key, once you are able to see the boot options on the screen.
End the Malicious Processes
Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the windows task manager, and click on the Processes tab under the task manager window. Kill the following associated processes of the FileBulldog by using the “End Process” button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Open the system files folder, and remove the following associated files of this nasty adware program by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\FileBulldog redirect.lnk
- %Programs%\FileBulldog redirect\FileBulldog redirect.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You are also required to normalize the windows registry. In this regard, you have to open the registry editor by executing the Regedit command through the Run option available in the Start menu. After accessing the registry editor, you have to delete the following associated entries of this malicious application from the windows registry:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FileBulldog redirect\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FileBulldog redirect
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FileBulldog redirect\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FileBulldog redirect\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FileBulldog redirect\DisplayName FileBulldog redirect
Close the registry editor, and restart the computer in the normal mode. Run a complete system scan through the updated version of any powerful antivirus program.