How to Uninstall / Remove fbstatic-a-akamaihd.net
The fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net is another variation of recently developed and distributed malicious applications. Once this nasty browser hijacker sneaks in the system, you will see a warning message on the screen of your system which says “Your Computer Might Be Infected with Browser hijacker Call fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net for assistance with removing the browser hijacker”. Actually, this is a fake message, and it is designed to trap the innocent computer users, and after making them scared through this fraudulent message, the notorious hackers achieve their ill motives. Once you call the given number, you will actually provide a remote access of your PC to the developers of this lethal application. They will use this illegal access of your system to steal your precious details including credit card numbers, passwords, and emails. All such information is then used to steal your money. This virus is promoted through some fake technical websites.
- Let your computer in safe mode.
- Uninstall / Remove fbstatic-a-akamaihd.net (and other unwanted programs) from the softwarelist.
- Remove fbstatic-a-akamaihd.net with Spyhunter
- Remove fbstatic-a-akamaihd.net from Internet Explorer
- Remove fbstatic-a-akamaihd.net from Firefox
- Remove fbstatic-a-akamaihd.net from Google Chrome
Removal of fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net
After getting infected from fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net browser hijacker, you need to remove this nasty infection from the system as soon as possible. You can use the manual removal method to get rid of this infection. Besides that, there are some reliable automatic removal tools also available. The manual removal of this application consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
First of all, you need to access the infected system in the safe mode. Restart the computer, and press the F8 key continuously to access the boot options screen where you have to select the safe mode option, and hit the Enter key to access the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode on the infected system, you need to get rid of the associated processes of this virus. Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, to access the windows task manager, and click on the processes tab in the task manager window Find and delete the following suspicious processes associated with the fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net before closing the windows task manager: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Once you are done with the removal of the malicious processes, you have to get rid of the files associated with this browser hijacker program. In this regard, following are some of the infected files that you have to delete from the system files folder:-
- %Desktopdir%\fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net .lnk
- %Programs%\fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net \fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net .lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Do not forget to normalize the windows registry in order to complete the manual removal process. In this regard, open the registry editor by selecting the Run option from the start menu, and type “regedit” before pressing the OK button. Find and delete the following associated registry entries of this browser hijacker infection:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net \DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net \UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net \ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\fbstatic-a.akamaihd.net \DisplayNamefbstatic-a.akamaihd.net
Reboot the computer in the normal mode, and see if the browser hijacker is removed successfully. Update your existing antivirus and run a complete system scan.