The FavDownloads.com is a malicious browser hijacker that is designed and developed with the clear motive of hijacking the default browser, and make money through black hat techniques. This application always attacks the system secretly without providing any prior notice to the user, and start performing a set of harmful activities. You will notice that the syatem starts behaving weirdly, and you will be unable to open any website of your choice. You cannot access the important system utilities including windows task manager, registry editor, and windows firewall. It opens a backdoor for the additional parasites after altering your security settings without your permission. Whenever you opens a browser window, the screen will be flooded with the different types of promotional ads. This is a tool for the international cyber criminals to promote the third party products and affiliate websites to make money from the promotional campaigns as well as pay per click programs. Often you will be redirected towards strange websites whenever you try to surf on the web, and the speed of the system decrease considerably.
Removal of FavDownloads.com
This malicious browser hijacker should be removed as soon as you find it otherwise your system can be totally dead. Get rid of this virus as soon as you are able to confirm its presence. This browser hijacker can be removed by selecting a powerful automatic tool. Besides that the manual removal process is also there that consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Restart the system to terminate the normal mode, and hit the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options menu. Select the safe mode option and strike the enter key to access the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the safe mode is accessed on the infected machine, you have to open the task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. After accessing the task manager on the system, click on the Processes tab under the task manager window. End the following suspicious processes associated with the FavDownloads.com by using the “End Process” button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Once your are done with the associated processes, you have to remove the following suspicious files associated with the FavDownloads.com from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Last but not least, you have to get rid of the corrupt entries created by this infection in the windows registry. Open the registry editor through RegEdit command which can be executed through Run option available in the start menu. Delete the following associated entries of the FavDownloads.com before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FavDownloads.com\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FavDownloads.com\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FavDownloads.com\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\FavDownloads.com\DisplayName FavDownloads.com
Access the system in the normal mode, and repeat the same process if the virus is still available. Run a complete system scan through your existing antivirus program after successfully removing this infection.