The EZDownloader is a recently developed malware that infected thousands of computers all over the world in the recent days. This malicious application directly affects the browsing, and web surfing of the user, and tries to dictate its terms. Once installed, the EZDownloader immediately alters the browser settings, and start showing the annoying pop-up ads on the screen of the system. The main purpose of the hackers behind developing this lethal weapon is to steal the information such as emails, passwords, credit card numbers, browsing habits, and cookies. This infection always sneaks in the computers secretly while downloading free software, clicking on the malicious links, spam emails, and p2p sharing of files. It easily bypass the antivirus and other security software installed on the system, and after modifying the security settings along with the windows firewall it invites additional threats inside the system. Besides that, it redirects all the web searches towards unknown places, and also destroys the important system files.
Removal of EZDownloader
Once it is confirmed that the EZDownloader infection attacks the system, the next thing you need to do is find an effective method to remove this virus completely. The automatic removal of this virus is not only easy, but also convenient for the new users. However, the manual removal process is also available in this regard that is described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You are required to boot the infected computer in the safe mode before starting the manual removal process. In this regard, restart the computer, and strike the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted to access the boot options screen. Once the boot options are visible on the screen, select the Safe Mode option before pressing the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
You are required to get rid of the associated processes of the EZDownloader. In this regard, open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the processes tab. Remove the following suspicious processes associated with this infection as soon as possible, and close the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Open the file explorer, and remove the following associated files from the system files folder with the help of the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\ EZDownloader.lnk
- %Programs%\ EZDownloader\ EZDownloader.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The final step of this lengthy process is, remove the modifications made by this infection in the registry section of your windows operating system. Execute the RegEdit command through the Run option of Start Menu to access the registry editor. Remove the following corrupt entries from the windows registry by using the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ EZDownloader\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ EZDownloader
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ EZDownloader\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ EZDownloader\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ EZDownloader\DisplayName EZDownloader
Reboot the machine in the normal mode to evaluate the success of the recent changes. If the virus is removed successfully, run a complete system scan after updating the existing antivirus program.