The Expresspolicelocation.com is a malicious application belongs from the browser hijacker family of infections. This is an advanced level browser hijacker that blocks your browser completely, and you are only able to see a localized web page that asks you to pay a fine in order to unblock your browser window. This nasty infection can hijack all types of browsers, including the Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and the Internet Explorer. Mostly this virus comes into the system while visiting hacked websites, and opening attachments received through spam emails. Once installed, the Expresspolicelocation.com modifies the windows registry by creating fake entries, and download the corrupt files on the system. Whenever you try to open your browser, you will only able to see a fake message which pretends to be from the local law enforcing authorities depending on your location. Normally you will be asked to pay the $300 as fine in order to unlock your PC, but keep in mind that this is a totally fake application, and your browser will never be unlocked even if you pay the fine amount.
Removal of Expresspolicelocation.com
The Expresspolicelocation.com is a nasty infection that can damage your system in a number of ways, and you have to remove this virus effectively to minimize the amount of damage. For the basic level users, there is an automatic removal method available that is easy, and fast. However, the experienced users can try the manual removal process. The instructions for the manual removal process are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Terminate the normal mode of operation by restarting the system, and while the system is restarted hit the F8 key repeatedly to gain the access of the boot options menu screen. You have to select the safe mode option from the list, and press the Enter key to access your system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Access the task manager through Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys and click on the processes tab to see the list of processes. Get rid of the following associated processes of this browser hijacker, and close the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Remove the associated data of this browser hijacker. In this regard, remove the following suspicious files from the system files folder:-
- %Desktopdir%\ Error.expresspolicelocation.com Virus.lnk
- %Programs%\ Error.expresspolicelocation.com Virus\ Error.expresspolicelocation.com Virus.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, delete the suspicious entries from the windows registry to complete this process. In this regard, open the registry editor by running the Regedit command through the start menu. Once the registry editor is accessed, delete the following entries as soon as possible:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Error.expresspolicelocation.com Virus\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Error.expresspolicelocation.com Virus
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Error.expresspolicelocation.com Virus\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Error.expresspolicelocation.com Virus\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ Error.expresspolicelocation.com Virus\DisplayName Error.expresspolicelocation.com Virus
Restart the PC in the normal mode to see how effectively you have followed the instructions, and run a complete system scan through an updated version of any reliable antivirus program.