The Error.safestep-police.net can be defined as a nasty computer infection belongs from the ransomware family of infections. The Error.safestep-police.net sneaks into the system without providing prior information to the user, and performs its illegal activities secretly. When you start your PC, instead of normal desktop, you will be able to see a full screen message that tells you, your system is locked down by the authorities on the charges of illegal online activities. It can be either violating the copyrights, or involving in pornography. The fact is that, this message has nothing to do with the authorities, and it is just a trick designed by the cyber crooks to threaten you, and extract the money from your pocket. You will be asked to pay the certain amount of fine as ransom to unlock the computer and avoid further legal action against you. However, you have to remember that this is a total fake message that is sent by the hackers, and they will never unlock your computer even after paying the fine amount.
Removal of Error.safestep-police.net
As soon as you realized the presence of the Error.safestep-police.net on your computer, you have to choose an effective method to get rid of this ransomware. You can do this easily by selecting any reliable automatic removal tool. Besides that, you can also remove this infection manually, as per the following instructions:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
First of all, you need to reboot the system, and try to access the safe mode on the infected computer. In this regard, restart the PC, and access the boot options screen by pressing the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. Select the safe mode option from the boot options menu, before striking the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
Open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the Processes tab to see the list of processes running in your computer. You have to find as well as remove the following associated processes of the Error.safestep-police.net before closing the task manager window:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
In the next step, you are required to delete the associated data of this ransomware. Remove the following suspicious files associated with the Error.safestep-police.net from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The manual removal will be completed once you are able to get rid of the associated registry entries of this nasty ransomware. In this regard, select the Start Menu, click on the Run, and write regedit.exe in the box to access the registry editor. Remove the following associated entries of the Error.safestep-police.net:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Error.safestep-police.net\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Error.safestep-police.net\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Error.safestep-police.net\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Error.safestep-police.net\DisplayName Error.safestep-police.net
Restart the machine in the normal mode to check if this malicious application is removed successfully. Open the main interface of your existing antivirus, and run a full system scan.