The Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-ups is a malicious application considered as a nasty browser hijacker that is designed to gain the complete control of your browsing. Once this nasty infection able to sneaks in the system, it modifies the default browser settings, and keep diverting your searches towards phishing websites. The Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-ups enters in any windows based computer while using an infected external storage device, opening the spam email attachment, visiting porn sites, sharing files on p2p networks, and unsafe browsing. The Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-ups perform several annoying activities such as altering the windows registry, destroying important system files, removing most accessed data files folders, and modify the security settings. Apart from that, this malicious application steals the important personal details, including the browsing history and transfer such details to the hackers. This nasty browser hijacker eats most of the resources installed on your CPU, and makes your system slow like a snail.
Removal of Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-ups
The Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-ups is a serious threat for the overall security of the system, and you need to remove this infection completely from the computer. There are a number of automatic tools available through which you can remove this virus within just a few minutes. Besides that, this virus can be removed manually too. The manual removal consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
It is unavoidable to access the safe mode operation on your system so that you can open the system utilities like task manager and registry editor. Restart the system, and get the access of the boot options menu by hitting the F8 key repeatedly. Select the safe mode option before pressing the Enter key to start the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the safe mode is accessed, you have to open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the processes tab under the task manager to see the list of processes running in the background of the machine. Locate as well as remove the following suspicious processes by using the End Process button before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Get rid of the following associated files of the Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-ups along with their folders from the system files folder by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-up ads.lnk
- %Programs%\Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-up ads\Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-up ads.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You have to access the registry editor by selecting the start menu, click the Run option, and write RegEdit in the box before pressing the OK button. Get rid of the following associated entries of the Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-ups before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-up ads\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-up ads
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-up ads\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-up ads\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-up ads\DisplayName Efc.pkgmirror.net pop-up ads
Restart the system in the normal mode to see if the browser hijacker is removed successfully or still available. Update the existing antivirus program before running a complete system scan.