The Dss.drivefor.net is a fake program that present itself as a legitimate search engine. The interface of this application shows like it is a useful search engine, but in reality this is a tool that cyber crooks use to access your personal details which then used to steal your money through online frauds. Once installed on the system, the Dss.drivefor.net redirects all your searches towards its own website where you will get additional threats. Besides that, this malicious application hijacks the homepage of your default browser, and run frequent pop-up ads to disturb your normal routine browsing. All these pop-up ads are related to the fake advertisement which is used for the purpose of generating the traffic on the low ranked websites. The Dss.drivefor.net also alters the windows registry by adding corrupt entries and startup keys.
The Manual Removal of Dss.drivefor.net
Once this malicious application attacks the system, you need to remove it as quickly as possible in order to protect your PC as well as data. You can find a number of reliable automatic removal tools to get rid of this malware, but if you are an experienced user, you can also remove this virus manually. The instructions for the manual removal method are mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You cannot remove these stubborn computer infections when the computer is running in the normal mode of operation. In this regard, restart the computer and use the F8 key to see the boot options. Once the boot options are accessed, select the safe mode option and press the enter key to start the PC in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Now you have to delete the processes added by the Dss.drivefor.net virus through the windows task manager. In order to open the task manager, you have to use the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the processes tab where you can see the list of running processes into the PC. You have to kill the following suspicious processes associated with this virus one by one by using the “End Process” button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You are required to open the file explorer, proceed to the system files folder, and remove the following suspicious files:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
To remove the corrupt entries from the windows registry, you have to access the registry editor. This can be done by executing the “RegEdit” command through the “Run” option available in the “Start Menu”. Once you are able to see the registry editor, delete the following suspicious entries, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Dss.drivefor.net\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Dss.drivefor.net\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Dss.drivefor.net\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Dss.drivefor.net\DisplayName Dss.drivefor.net
Reboot the system once again but this time in the normal mode to see the success of failure of the manual removal process, and run a complete system scan after updating the antivirus software.