The DownLow is a dangerous computer worm that is discovered recently, and distributed through the compromised web pages, junk mail attachments, freeware download, and p2p sharing. This is a toolbar infection that sneaks in the computers without getting the permission from the users. This malicious application often install itself as a browser extension, and one of the first thing this infection do is, modification of the security settings including the windows firewall to open the backdoor for the additional parasites. Besides that, it also disables your antivirus tools in order to avoid the detection. This toolbar offers discounted rates on many of the useful products, and also promotes the coupon deals, but along with these useful offers, the DownLow also modify your browser settings to hijack the browser, and monitor your browsing. You will notice that the home page along with preferred search provider is modified without your consent.
The Manual Removal of DownLow
After getting infected from the DownLow virus, you have to find a powerful method to get rid of this nasty toolbar. You can do this by selecting any powerful automatic removal tool that is not only easy to use, but also deletes this infection quickly. The manual removal method of this malicious application is available but extremely difficult that consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Operate the infected computer in the safe mode so that the manual removal of this toolbar virus can be started. Restart your system, and access the boot option menu by pressing the F8 key continuously while the system is restarting. After accessing the boot options, select the Safe mode option, and hit the Enter to start the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the infected computer start working in the safe mode, you have to get rid of the associated processes of this toolbar infection. Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the windows task manager, and click on the Processes tab under the task manager window to see the list of processes running in the background. End the following associated process of the DownLow by using the End Process button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the associated processes removal, you have to remove the following associated files of the DownLow infection:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
To complete the manual removal of the DownLow infection, you have to normal the windows registry by removing the alterations. Open the start menu, select Run option, and type Regedit in the box to start the registry editor. Once the registry editor is accessed, delete the following suspicious entries associated with this toolbar infection:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DownLow\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DownLow\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DownLow\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DownLow\DisplayName DownLow
Close the registry editor, and start the computer in the normal mode to see how well you are able to complete this manual removal process.