The Downloader.Surf and Keep is a dangerous application categorized as an adware that is used by the hackers to display discounted offer, coupon deals, and other online shopping offers. All such offers are according to your browsing habits, as this malicious application first records your browsing history, and then show you the pop-up messages according to your recent searches. This dangerous adware always installed automatically, without any manual intervention while downloading free application, visiting adult websites, using infected removable storage devices, and watching live video streaming. Once installed, it starts disturbing your surfing sessions by showing bulk quantity of annoying pop-up messages whenever you go online. These pop-ups are related to commercial ads, fake security alerts, and sponsored links. This dangerous adware is also known as a resource eater, and makes the system very slow.
Removal of Downloader.Surf and Keep
Once the Downloader.Surf and Keep adware program comes into the system, you have to drop whatever you are doing, and thinks how to remove this adware from the system in quick time. There are some effective automatic tools available through which you can delete this nasty adware in quick time. The manual removal is also possible, but extremely complicated that consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You cannot execute the complicated instructions of manual removal process by remaining in the normal mode. Restart the PC, and access the boot options screen by hitting the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. Once the boot options are accessed, strike the Enter key after selecting the safe mode option from the list.
End the Malicious Processes
Access the task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the Processes tab under the task manager window to see the list of processes running in the background. Kill the following suspicious processes associated with the Downloader.Surf and Keep by using the End Process button, and close the task manager: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After getting rid of the associated process, you have to open the system files folder and remove the following corrupt files associated with the Downloader.Surf and Keep as quickly as possible:-
- %Desktopdir%\Downloader.Surf and Keep.lnk
- %Programs%\Downloader.Surf and Keep\Downloader.Surf and Keep.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Finally, remove the corrupt associated entries from the windows registry. Access the registry editor by selecting the Run option from the start menu, and type “regedit” in the box. You have to eliminate the following associated entries of the Downloader.Surf and Keep as soon as you are able to access the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Downloader.Surf and Keep\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Downloader.Surf and Keep
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Downloader.Surf and Keep\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Downloader.Surf and Keep\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Downloader.Surf and Keep\DisplayName Downloader.Surf and Keep
Restart the machine in the normal mode to check the availability of this adware infection, and run a system scan after updating your existing antivirus program.