The Downlite.net Redirect Virus is a browser redirect virus that can cause severe damage to a system if not removed in time. This malicious application is classified as a browser hijacker that has the ability to alter its name in order to disguise itself. This nasty computer worm enters in the system through freeware downloads, and unsafe browsing. Once installed, it modifies the windows firewall, alters the browser settings, DNS configuration, and windows registry. Whenever you try to search anything through your default search engine, you will be redirected towards unknown websites. Some of the users think that they can install a new browser to avoid this virus, but this is not the right method.
Removal of Downlite.net Redirect Virus
As soon as you realized the presence of the Downlite.net Redirect Virus in the system, you need to take some immediate steps and remove this dangerous infection as a top priority. In this regard, you have got the automatic removal choice which is ideal for the basic level computer users. On the other hand, the manual removal of this virus is also possible that is detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before starting the manual removal of the PUP.Optional.VbatesHelper.A, you have to boot the computer in the safe mode. Restart the machine, and hit the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted to see the list of boot options on the screen. Choose the Safe Mode option from the list, and hit the Enter key to boot the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the windows task manager, and once the task manager is accessed, select the processes tab, and get rid of the following malicious processes associated with the Downlite.net Redirect Virus before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the removal of the associated processes, you have to get rid of the associated data. Following are some of the suspicious files related to the Downlite.net Redirect Virus that are required to be removed by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Downlite.net Redirect Virus.lnk
- %Programs%\Downlite.net Redirect Virus\Downlite.net Redirect Virus.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
This manual removal process cannot be completed unless you clean the windows registry. In this regard, access the registry editor by executing the Regedit command through the Run option available in the start menu. Eliminate the following corrupt entries associated with the Downlite.net Redirect Virus after accessing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Downlite.net Redirect Virus\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Downlite.net Redirect Virus
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Downlite.net Redirect Virus\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Downlite.net Redirect Virus\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Downlite.net Redirect Virus\DisplayName Downlite.net Redirect Virus
After completing the above mentioned steps, you have to shut the registry editor, and restart the computer in the normal mode to to see how effectively you have removed this infection. Run a complete system scan from the main interface of your default antivirus program.