The DictAddon is a new addition in the series of a recently developed adware infection distributed to infect the computers using the windows operating system. Once this malicious application enters into the computer, it is responsible of showing you pop-up ads, coupon deals, and discounted offers. All such pop-up ads make your surfing extremely slow, and keep disturbing your surfing sessions. It leads your system towards degradation of the performance by adding countless unnecessary files. The hackers use freeware download, live video streaming applications, spam emails, and file sharing networks to distribute this nasty adware program. Once this adware slips inside the system, it modifies most of the system settings, and replace your home page along with the default search engine. This adware program divers all your web searches towards infectious sites, and after altering the security arrangements in the system, it opens a back channel for the additional threats. The goal of the hackers is to steal your information, and use it in the online frauds.
Removal of DictAddon
After discovering the DictAddon adware on the PC, you have to find a way to remove this infection effectively as well as completely. You can achieve this objective manually as well as automatically. The automatic removal is easy, and ideal choice for the basic level computer users. On the other hand, the manual removal is a tough process that is described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The manual removal of the DictAddon adware can be started after booting the system in the safe mode. Restart the PC, and strike the F8 key repeatedly to see the list of boot options while the system is restarted. Select the safe mode option through the arrow keys, and the Enter button.
End the Malicious Processes
Once you are able to access the system in the safe mode, you have to remove the processes associated with this adware virus. Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the task manager, and select the Processes tab where you can see all the processes running in the system. Find as well as remove the following corrupt processes and close the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Delete the following associated files of the DictAddon adware program from the system files folder as early as possible:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You can complete the manual removal process once you clean the windows registry. In this regard, access the registry editor by executing the RegEdit command from the Run option. After accessing the registry editor, remove the following suspicious entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DictAddon\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DictAddon\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DictAddon\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DictAddon\DisplayName DictAddon
Close the registry editor, and restart the system normally, to check the success of your efforts. Do not forget to run a system scan from the main interface of your existing antivirus program.