The DealDropDown is a malicious application that comes under the category of browser hijacker. This tricky browser hijacker is promoted with the help of other malware, freeware, social media links, and spam email attachments. The DealDropDown is also considered as an extremely tricky adware as it has the ability to run countless pop-up ads on the screen of the infected machine. After getting itself installed on any computer, this adware hijacks the homepage of the default browser, and changes the complete settings. Your default search engine along with the desktop background is also changes by this virus. The infected system starts behaving weirdly, and you will feel that the speed is reduced considerably.
The Manual Removal of DealDropDown
When you feel that the DealDropDown is installed on the system, you have to remove this adware with the help of an automatic removal tool, or if you like, you can remove it with the help of manual removal instructions. The instructions to get rid of the DealDropDown manually are mentioned below:-
Start Your Computer in the Safe Mode
The first thing which you are required to do is, restart the system in the safe mode. The safe mode option can be accessed by using the F8 key while the system is restarting. You can select the safe mode from the list of boot options appeared on the screen.
Delete the Processes through Windows Task Manager
Once the system starts working in the safe mode, you have to move towards the next step of this process which is removing the corrupt processes created by this virus. This can be done by accessing the windows task manager with the help of Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys. Once the task manager is accessed, you have to select the processes tab, and end the following processes with the help of End Process button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Data
Once done with the malicious processes, you also need to delete the suspicious and associated files along with their folders. In this regard, you have to find and delete the following files from your computer by using the file explorer, and Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\DealDropDown .lnk
- %Programs%\DealDropDown \DealDropDown .lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Go to the start menu, select the Run option, to execute the regedit command to access the registry editor. With the help of registry editor, you have to remove the corrupt entries created by this virus. After opening the registry editor, you have to delete the following corrupt entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DealDropDown \DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DealDropDown \UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DealDropDown \ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\DealDropDown \DisplayName DealDropDown
Start your computer in the normal mode when all the above mentioned steps are completed successfully to see the effectiveness of these actions. Update the existing antivirus program, and run a complete system scan to remove the infections caused by this threat.