The CryptoLocker Ransomware is a recently discovered computer virus that is categorized as ransomware infection. Once the CryptoLocker Ransomware enters in the computer it blocks your access towards the system files, and instead of seeing your normal desktop you can only see a fake alert on the screen which tells you that you have violated the cyber laws therefore, the authorities have blocked your PC. You will be asked to pay a certain amount as a fine to unblock the system. Keep in mind that this is a trap and even if you them, they will never unblock the PC. Normally they ask you to pay $100. You have to avoid paying the fine as you will not only lose your money, but also transfer your details like credit card numbers, real name, etc while paying the amount.
The Manual Removal of CryptoLocker Ransomware
Once you realized that your system is showing the symptoms of the CryptoLocker Ransomware, you have to take some quick steps to delete this virus completely. You can get rid of this lethal ransomware by using any automatic removal tool that is easily available, or by following the complicated steps of the manual removal method. The manual removal process is described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before starting the actual removal process, you need to boot the system in the safe mode to access some of the basic system utilities like task manager and registry editor. Restart the system, and hit the F8 key repeatedly to access the list of options. Once the booting options are visible on your screen, select the Safe Mode and press the Enter key to start the safe mode operation.
End the Malicious Processes
You need to open the windows task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and under the processes tab in the task manager window you can see a list of running processes in the computer. You have to remove the following associated processes of the CryptoLocker Ransomware:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
You have to locate and delete the following files from the system files folder associated with this nasty ransomware infection:-
- %Desktopdir%\CryptoLocker Ransomware.lnk
- %Programs%\CryptoLocker Ransomware\CryptoLocker Ransomware.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You must clean the windows registry by removing the corrupt entries. In this regard, access the registry editor by clicking the Start menu, select Run option, and type regedit in the box before pressing the OK button. Once the registry editor is accessed, remove the following suspicious entries associated with the CryptoLocker Ransomware:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CryptoLocker Ransomware\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CryptoLocker Ransomware
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CryptoLocker Ransomware\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CryptoLocker Ransomware\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CryptoLocker Ransomware\DisplayName CryptoLocker Ransomware
Restart the system in the normal mode after closing the registry editor to see the effectiveness of the manual removal process. Run a complete system scan after updating your existing antivirus program to complete the manual removal process.