The CoupSeek is a recent variation of advanced level adware infections that are specifically designed to threaten the windows based users, and steal their hard earned money by accessing their confidential details. Once the CoupSeek invades a system, it alters the default browser, default search provider, and disables the antivirus program. It modifies the windows firewall in order to open a backdoor for other parasites. This malicious application records the browsing history of the user, and run targeted pop-up ads that matches the browsing habits of the user. When a user clicks on the pop-up ad, he will be automatically redirected towards a useless promotional website. The basic objective of the hackers is to divert traffic on the affiliate sites and make money from the pay per click programs. If you try to purchase a product from these promotional sites, your credit card information will be transferred to the hackers and they can use it in online frauds.
Removal of CoupSeek
As soon as you have realized the presence of the CoupSeek in the system, your first priority should be, remove this nasty computer parasite completely and effectively. The automatic removal method in this regard is the most popular way, and recommended for the basic level computer users. Besides that, the manual removal of this Virus is also possible, yet extremely complicated, and only recommended for the experienced users. Following are the steps involved in the manual removal process:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Access the system in the safe mode before proceeding to the complicated steps of the manual removal method. You have to restart the system, and access the boot options menu by hitting the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. After accessing the boot options list, select the Safe Mode, and press the Enter key to boot the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Open the windows task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the Processes tab under the task manager window where you can see a list of all the processes running in the system. You have to remove the following suspicious processes from the list, and close the task manager: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Get rid of the following associated files from the system files folder by using the Delete key:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Clean the windows registry to complete this process. In this regard, access the registry editor by executing the “regedit” command through Run option on the Start menu. After accessing the registry editor, remove the following corrupt entries associated with the CoupSeek:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CoupSeek\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CoupSeek\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CoupSeek\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CoupSeek\DisplayName CoupSeek
Restart the system, and access the system in the normal mode to see how effectively you have followed the instructions. Update your existing antivirus program before running a complete system scan.