The Coupon Matcher is a malicious computer virus considered as a nasty adware program that invades the windows based systems secretly, and can cause severe damage to the sensitive data as well as system resources. The Coupon Matcher is capable of opening the backdoor to give access to the additional threats. This malicious application is promoted through spam emails, and freeware downloads. Besides that, you can also get this infection through compromised web pages and social media links. Through Coupon Matcher, the cyber criminals can monitor your activities including the keystrokes as well as the mouse clicks in order to access the personal and financial details of the user. All such details are supposed to be used in the online frauds and other cyber crimes. This malicious program also displays annoying pop-up ads, modify windows registry, eat resources, and generate the BSOD error. Once enters, the Coupon Matcher remains resident in the infected machine for a longer period unless not removed effectively.
The Manual Removal of Coupon Matcher
Once the Coupon Matcher adware virus invades the computer, you are required to delete this virus from the system effectively in order to give the overall protection to your PC. Besides automatic removal tools, the manual removal method is also available. However, you have to keep in mind that the manual removal of this virus is only recommended for the advanced level users and consists of the following steps:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Restart the PC and access the boot options menu with the help of F8 key. Select the safe mode option and press the enter key to reboot the infected system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Once the system starts working in the safe mode, you can access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the processes tab once the task manager window is accessed. You have to remove the following associated processes of the Coupon Matcher from the available list and close down the windows task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the removal of corrupt processes, you are required to delete the associated data. You have to remove the following files from the system files folder :-
- %Desktopdir%\Coupon Matcher.lnk
- %Programs%\Coupon Matcher\Coupon Matcher.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Finally, you have to execute the RegEdit command through the Run option available in the Start Menu to access the registry editor. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to remove the following associated corrupt entries created by the Coupon Matcher adware program before closing the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Coupon Matcher\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Coupon Matcher
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Coupon Matcher\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Coupon Matcher\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Coupon Matcher\DisplayName Coupon Matcher
Restart the machine in the normal mode to see the result of your efforts, and run a complete system scan through your current antivirus program.