The Contenko.com Browser Hijacker is actually a malicious website that acts as a browser hijacker, and attacks the computers without providing prior information. Once installed, the Contenko.com Browser Hijacker takes complete control of your browsing, and redirect the searches towards its own website as well as other unwanted places. It has the capability of hijacking your current browser no matter what type of browser you are using, and can monitor your online activities. This dangerous browser hijacker infection is wisely designed in a way that it first monitor which types of website you are visiting, and then display the pop-up ads relevant to your browsing habits. The cyber crooks use the Contenko.com infection as a tool to generate profit as well as traffic on their affiliate websites.
The Manual Removal of Contenko.com Browser Hijacker
After getting the system infected with Contenko.com Browser Hijacker virus, you have to delete it without wasting the time. You have got the automatic removal as well as manual removal options to get rid of this deadly dangerous browser hijacker. The steps involved in the manual removal method of the Adware.FTDownloader are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before going through the manual removal process, you are required to reboot the system in the safe mode. First of all, restart the computer, and use the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted in order to access the boot options menu. Select the safe mode from the list of boot options and press the Enter key to boot the computer in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the windows task manager, and click on the processes tab in the task manager window to see the list of running processes. Remove the following malicious processes quickly and close the windows task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
The next step of this process is the removal of the associated data. You have to remove the following associated files hidden somewhere in the system files folder by using the help of the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Contenko.com Browser Hijacker.lnk
- %Programs%\Contenko.com Browser Hijacker\Contenko.com Browser Hijacker.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You have to clean the windows registry by removing the corrupt entries created by the Contenko.com browser hijacker. In this regard, you have to access the registry editor by executing the “regedit.exe” command through Run option in the Start menu. Remove the following malicious entries once the registry editor is accessed:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Contenko.com Browser Hijacker\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Contenko.com Browser Hijacker
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Contenko.com Browser Hijacker\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Contenko.com Browser Hijacker\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Contenko.com Browser Hijacker\DisplayName Contenko.com Browser Hijacker
Close the registry editor, and restart the machine once again in the normal mode to see the effect of changes you have made recently. Do not forget to run a system scan after updating the current antivirus program.