The Conteneur Activex is a malicious application that presents itself as a browser helper object, but in reality this is a dangerous browser hijacker that hijacks all the browsers installed on your system. It first infects the browser that you use the most, but gradually it corrupts all your browsers by changing the privacy settings. Once installed on any windows based system, this dangerous application changes the settings to remain resident in the computer, and hide itself deep in the roots of your system files. It also creates startup key in the windows registry which makes it possible for this virus to run automatically every time you starts your windows.
The Instructions for Removal of Conteneur Activex
Once you feel that your system is infected from this virus, you have to confirm it first, and then remove this threat either with the help of any reliable automatic software, or manually. The steps involved in the manual removal method are described as under:-
Select the Safe Mode
You have to start your computer in safe mode to access the task manager, and registry editor. The normal mode can be terminated by just restarting the system. You have to use the F8 key to access the boot options, and select the safe mode option from the list to start your PC in the safe mode.
Remove the Associated Processes
After completing the safe mode step, the next issue which you need to take care is the removal of associated processes of the Conteneur Activex. You have to open the task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once you are able to see the task manager window on the screen of your computer, you have to select the processes tab. Here you can see a list of processes running in the background, from which you have to delete following process:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Files and Folders
You also need to get rid of the files created by the Conteneur Activex. In this regard, you have to find the following files in the system files folder, and delete them by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Conteneur Activex.lnk
- %Programs%\Conteneur Activex\Conteneur Activex.lnk
Remove the Corrupt Registry Entries
Finally you have to remove the registry entries created by the Conteneur Activex in the windows registry. Any changes or modifications in the windows registry can be done with the help of registry editor which can be accessed by running the “RegEdit” Command in the command prompt. After opening the registry editor, you have to find the following entries, and remove them immediately:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Conteneur Activex\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Conteneur Activex
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Conteneur Activex\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Conteneur Activex\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Conteneur Activex\DisplayName Conteneur Activex
After completing the above mentioned steps, you have to restart the system in the normal mode to see the success of manual removal process. Do not forget to update your existing antivirus program before running a complete system scan on your system.