The CACP Virus is another variation of dangerous ransomware infections and recently introduced by the cyber crooks to invade the windows based computers. The CACP stands for the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police. Once entered, this virus blocks your access to your computer by saying that you have violated the copyright law of Canada due to which the authorities have blocked your system. You will also be asked to pay $100 amount as fine if you want to unlock your PC. This is a totally fake application which has nothing to do with the government authorities. This lethal ransomware developed by the notorious hackers to take your money away and access your most confidential financial data to use it in the online frauds. Keep in mind that even if you pay the so called fine which is actually a Ransome amount, your computer will never be unlocked by these hackers.
The Manual Removal of CACP Virus
As soon as you realized that the computer is compromised to this tricky ransomware infection, you have to start the removal of this virus without wasting a single minute. You can do this job either by selecting any automatic removal method or by going through the lengthy and complicated process of manual removal. The steps involved in the manual removal of this malicious application are as under:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
Restart the infected system, and with the help of F8 key you can get access to the boot options menu. Select the safe mode and press the Enter key to change the mode of operation from the normal mode to safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together in order to start the windows task manager. Once the task manager is accessed, you have to select the Processes tab to see the list of the running processes. You have to locate as well as remove the following associated processes of the CACP Virus:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
Open the system files folder and remove the following associated files of this dangerous ransomware:-
- %Desktopdir%\CACP Virus .lnk
- %Programs%\CACP Virus \CACP Virus .lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The final step of this complicated process is the removal of the malicious additions in the windows registry by using the registry editor. You can get the access of the registry editor by clicking on the start menu, choosing Run, and write “RegEdit” before pressing the Enter key. Once the registry editor is accessed, you have to remove the following entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CACP Virus \DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CACP Virus
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CACP Virus \UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CACP Virus \ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\CACP Virus \DisplayName CACP Virus
After completing the above steps, you have to close the registry editor and resume the normal mode of operation by restarting your computer. Do not forget to check the infections caused by this virus by running a complete the system scan after updating the antivirus program.