The BrowserModifier:Win32/Zwangi is a malicious program that is considered as one of the most powerful, and lethal browser hijacker of recent times that has infected millions of the windows based computers all over the world. This malicious application designed to change the browser settings in a way that all your searches are redirected towards certain websites where you are encouraged to buy rogue application software. Once installed, the BrowserModifier:Win32/Zwangi changes your browser settings completely and modify your home page, default search engine, and the desktop background. The objective of this dangerous browser hijacker is to steal the confidential information of the users such as emails, passwords, shopping preferences, browsing history, and most importantly the credit card details. The notorious hackers use this confidential information in the online frauds to steal the money of the innocent users. Once installed, this parasite can make your system extremely slow by eating most of the resources 9installed on the computer.
The Manual Removal of BrowserModifier:Win32/Zwangi
Once you have confirmed that the BrowserModifier:Win32/Zwangi enters into your system, now it is time to remove this virus without wasting time. You can delete this stubborn virus with the help of any reliable automatic removal tool. The manual removal method is also available that consists of the following steps:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
The manual removal only performed in the safe mode operation; therefore, you have to terminate the normal mode of the computer by restarting it and use F8 key repeatedly to see the boot options. Here you have to select the safe mode, and press the enter key.
Kill the Associated Processes
When your computer started in the safe mode, now you can start the actual removal process by deleting the associated processes of the BrowserModifier:Win32/Zwangi. You can do this starting the windows task manager using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys, and press the Processes tab. Here you can see the list of running processes from which you should remove the following processes:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
After completing the removal of processes you have to open the file explorer, and delete the following suspicious files from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The next step of this process is to clean the windows registry by accessing the registry editor. The registry editor can be started by executing the “RegEdit” command through Run option available in the start menu. Remove the following suspicious entries with the help of the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BrowserModifier: Win32 / Zwangi\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BrowserModifier: Win32 / Zwangi
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BrowserModifier: Win32 / Zwangi\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BrowserModifier: Win32 / Zwangi\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BrowserModifier: Win32 / Zwangi\DisplayName BrowserModifier:Win32/Zwangi
Close the registry editor, and restart the system in the normal mode to evaluate the manual removal process. If the BrowserModifier:Win32/Zwangi is removed successfully, run a complete system scan with the help of updated version of any reliable antivirus software.