The Boot.Cidox Virus is a recently discovered rootkit infection that has infected thousands of computers recently. Once installed, the Boot.Cidox Virus exposes your private information by opening a back channel for the notorious hackers to access your PC. This malicious application keeps redirecting your web searches towards unwanted websites, where you might be encouraged to buy the paid versions of some fake security applications. Besides that, it modifies the windows registry, and creates fake startup keys without your knowledge. You cannot access the most accessed data files folder, and you will also notice a huge decrease in the speed of your browsing. Mostly, this malicious application enters in the system while accepting online offers from the unknown suppliers. It is also used by the hackers to steal your personal financial information.
Removal of Boot.Cidox Virus
After knowing that the system is getting corrupted by the Boot.Cidox Virus, you have to find an effective tool to get rid of this rootkit infection. The automatic removal in this regard is easy and fast that is the ideal solution for the basic level computer users. On the other hand, the manual removal of this virus is also possible. The steps involved in the manual removal process are detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The first thing you need to do is, access the safe mode operation on your computer. In this regard, restart the computer, and access the boot options menu by hitting the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted. Select the Safe Mode option, and hit the Enter key after accessing the list of boot options on your screen.
End the Malicious Processes
Get rid of the associated processes of the Boot.Cidox Virus in the next step of this process. Open the task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the Processes tab under the task manager window where you can see all the processes running in the background of your system. Remove the following associated processes of the Boot.Cidox Virus: –
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Access the system files folder through the file explorer, and delete the following suspicious files as quickly as possible:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Clean the windows registry in the final step of this manual removal process. In this regard, click on the start menu, select Run, and type Regedit in the box to open the registry editor. By using the registry editor, you have to eradicate the following malicious entries related to this dangerous rootkit virus, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Rootkit.Boot.Cidox.b\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Rootkit.Boot.Cidox.b\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Rootkit.Boot.Cidox.b\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Rootkit.Boot.Cidox.b\DisplayName Rootkit.Boot.Cidox.b
In the end, restart the system in the normal mode to to see the effect of changes you have made recently. Run a complete system scan after updating your existing antivirus program.