The Blinkx.com installed itself as a browser extension that can divert your web searches towards unknown websites where you are forced to buy unwanted products from unknown suppliers. Some of the hackers use this infection as a tool to generate the traffic on their affiliate sites. Once installed, it overhauls the browser settings completely so that it can control your browsing, and opens the backdoor for additional parasites. This is a high resource eater application that makes your system super slow, and reduces the overall performance of the system.
Removal of Blinkx.com
Once your PC shows the symptoms of the Blinkx.com, you have to confirm the presence of this malicious application, and remove it as quickly as possible. You can remove this virus with the help of any reliable automatic tool which is easy to use. Besides that, the manual removal is also available which is a bit hard and only recommended for the experienced users. The instructions for manual removal of this virus are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The first thing you need to do is, reboot the computer in the safe mode. In this regard, restart the computer, and strike the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot option while the system is restarted. Once you are able to see the list of boot options, select the safe mode, and strike the Enter key.
End the Malicious Processes
Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the windows task manager, and click on the Processes tab under the task manager window to see the list of processes running in the background of the system. Delete the following corrupt processes associated with this infection by using the “End Process” button:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Open the system files folder, and remove the following malicious files associated with the Blinkx.com by using the Delete key:-
- %Desktopdir%\Blinkx.com Pop-ups.lnk
- %Programs%\Blinkx.com Pop-ups\Blinkx.com Pop-ups.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The final step of the manual removal process is getting rid of the corrupt entries from the windows registry. In this regard, you have to access the registry editor by clicking the Start menu, select Run option, and type “RegEdit” in the box. You have to delete the following entries associated with the Blinkx.com:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Blinkx.com Pop-ups\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Blinkx.com Pop-ups
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Blinkx.com Pop-ups\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Blinkx.com Pop-ups\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Blinkx.com Pop-ups\DisplayName Blinkx.com Pop-ups
Restart the computer in the normal mode after closing the registry editor to see the success or failure of the manual removal process. Update the existing antivirus to run a full system scan.