The BitMefender is a malicious application categorized as a scareware computer worm that slips in the system without providing any prior information to the user. Once this nasty infection installed on the system, it will perform fake scans on the system whenever you start the computer. The results of these so called scans are always threatening, and it shows a list of errors available in your computer. When you try to remove these errors, you will be asked to provide a registration code that is only available when you buy the paid version of this nasty application. The BitMefender presents itself as a legitimate anti malware program that is designed to help the users to improve the performance of the system, but actually it is a dangerous computer worm that is a trap set by the hackers to steal your money along with the personal financial information. The cyber crooks developed this infection to threaten the users, and makes them scared to force them to purchase this fake antivirus. You will be redirected towards unknown places whenever you try to surf on the web.
Removal of BitMefender
The presence of the BitMefender scareware infection is extremely dangerous for the overall health of your system as it can damage the system components in a number of different ways. One of the easiest method of removing this lethal infection is by selecting any automatic tool that can get rid of this virus within just a few clicks of your mouse. If you are confident enough, you can also try the manual removal process that is detailed below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before going through the instructions of the manual removal, it is important to access the safe mode on your computer. Restart the machine, and press F8 key repeatedly to get the access of the boot options menu. After accessing the boot options, you have to select the Safe Mode through the arrow keys, and press the Enter button.
End the Malicious Processes
Access the task manager by pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the processes tab under the task manager window. Remove the following associated processes of the BitMefender, before closing the windows task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Open the system files folder through file explorer, and remove the following associated files of the BitMefender:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
To complete this process, you have to delete the corrupt entries associated with the BitMefender. In this regard, open the registry editor by executing the RegEdit command through the Run option in the Start Menu. Once the registry editor is accessed, you need to remove the following corrupt entries at your earliest:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BitMefender\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BitMefender\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BitMefender\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\BitMefender\DisplayName BitMefender
Restart the PC in the normal mode to check the success level of this process, and run a complete system scan after updating your antivirus software.