The Backdoor.APT.Merong is a malicious computer worm that belongs from the backdoor Trojan family of infections. This nasty Trojan is used by the hackers to run malware campaigns, and destroy the windows based systems. Once installed, it disables the antivirus as well as other s3ecurity arrangements to open a backdoor for other malicious applications, and subsequently, your computer becomes a junk yard for the different kind of parasites. It provides remote access to your computer to the cyber crooks that can pe3rform harmful activities inside the system without providing any prior information. The hackers use spam email campaigns, file sharing networks, hacked web pages, social engineering, and, and removable storage devices to spread this dangerous backdoor Trojan infection. Once installed, it modifies a number of system settings without your consent, and you will notice that the home page as well as search engine is changed. You will also notice that the performance of the system is getting worse every day, and you cannot open any executable files.
Removal of Backdoor.APT.Merong
Once you realize the presence of the Backdoor.APT.Merong in your PC, you must remove this Trojan virus swiftly. There are both, automatic as well as manual methods available in this regard. The automatic removal is easy, and ideal choice for the basic level computer users. On the other hand, the manual removal is a difficult process that is described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You can go through the complicated steps of this process by rebooting the infected computer in the safe mode. Restart the PC, and strike the F8 key repeatedly to see the list of boot options while the system is restarted. Select the safe mode option through the arrow keys, and the Enter button.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode on the infected PC, you have to kill the associated processes of this virus. Hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the windows task manager, and select the Processes tab under the task manager window where you can see all the processes running in the system. Get rid of the following corrupt processes and close the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
After completing the removal of the processes, you have to delete the associated files of this backdoor Trojan. Following are the suspicious files that are required to be removed from the system files folder:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
You can complete the manual removal process once you clean the windows registry. In this regard, access the registry editor by executing the RegEdit command from the Run option. After accessing the registry editor, remove the following suspicious entries associated with the Backdoor.APT.Merong:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Backdoor.APT.Merong\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Backdoor.APT.Merong\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Backdoor.APT.Merong\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Backdoor.APT.Merong\DisplayName Backdoor.APT.Merong
Restart the system after closing the registry editor, to check the success of your efforts. Run a system scan from the main interface of your existing antivirus program.