The Backdoor.Adwind is a malicious virus that comes under the category of backdoor viruses. This dangerous parasite often installs on the windows based computers without the consent of the user. Once installed, the Backdoor.Adwind creates corrupt files as well as registry entries in order to hide itself, and remain resident. The main purpose of developing this malicious backdoor is to steal the personal information of the user along with their browsing activities. This information is being transferred to the notorious hackers through a remote server who use it for the fraudulent purposes. Once installed, this extremely tricky backdoor virus starts eating the resources of the system, and you will face a huge slowdown in the speed of your computer. Besides that, you are also unable to open any website as it redirects your searches towards unknown websites. Some hackers also use this tool to generate traffic on the low quality website, and promote affiliate products to earn commissions by using the unethical practices.
The Manual Removal of Backdoor.Adwind
After knowing that the system is corrupted by the Backdoor.Adwind , you need to remove this backdoor infection at your earliest to minimize the loss of data as well as resources. There are some automatic removal tools available through which you can delete this infection easily, within just a few clicks of the mouse. The manual removal of this malicious application is possible, but too complicated for the novice users. Following are the specific instructions to remove the Backdoor.Adwind manually.
Start the System in Safe Mode
Before going for the actual removal process you have to reboot the system in order to terminate the normal mode, and start the safe mode. While the system is restarted, use the F8 key to see the boot options where you can select the safe mode option.
Kill the Associated Processes
After rebooting the computer in the safe mode, you have to delete the malicious processes associated with this virus. In this regard open the windows task manager and click on the processes tab. Under this tab you can see the list of running processes from which you have to kill the following processes :-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
You have to delete the following suspicious files associated with the Backdoor.Adwind from the system files folder.
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Click on the start button, choose “run”, write “regedit”, and press “ok” to access the windows registry editor. You have to find and delete the following entries by using the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Backdoor.Adwind\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Backdoor.Adwind\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Backdoor.Adwind\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Backdoor.Adwind\DisplayName Backdoor.Adwind
Close the registry editor after removing the above entries, and restart the system in the safe mode to analyze the success of the manual removal process. Update the antivirus program to run a complete system scan to remove the infections caused by this virus.