The AutoRun.ad is a deadly dangerous computer worm that is discovered recently, and can destroy your PC in a way that it becomes completely useless. This lethal infection also causes frequent crashes, and freezes of the system due to which it becomes impossible for the user to perform its daily routine tasks. The AutoRun.ad infection is capable of modifying the basic system settings in order to manipulate your online searches, and control your browsing. You will see that the home page, desktop, default browser, and default search engine are modified without your permission. This nasty virus also modify the windows registry by adding the startup keys, and put too much load on the system resources which results in huge slowdown in the speed of the computer. You neither detect nor remove this malicious application from your system by using your antivirus program as it immediately disables it. Most of your system memory occupied by this virus due to which your system starts behaving weirdly.
The Manual Removal of AutoRun.ad
Once your system shows the symptoms of the AutoRun.ad virus, you need to take immediate steps to get rid of this infection. The automatic removal tools are available that are easy to use for the novice users. On the other hand, the manual removal is also possible which is a bit complicated and described below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
Before doing any thing else you need to start the system in the safe mode. Restart the computer, and press the F8 key repeatedly to get the access of the boot options menu. When the list of boot options appeared on the screen, choose the Safe Mode option from the list, and hit the Enter key to start the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode, you have to kill the processes of this virus from the windows task manager. Open the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and click on the processes tab to remove the following associated processes of the AutoRun.ad virus:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
The next step of the process is removal of the associated data. Access the file explorer, open the system files folder, and remove the following associated files of the AutoRun.ad infection:-
- %Desktopdir%\AutoRun.ad .lnk
- %Programs%\AutoRun.ad \AutoRun.ad .lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The most important step of the manual removal is cleaning the windows registry. In this regard, you have to click on the start menu, select Run, and type Regedit in the box to start the registry editor. Remove the following suspicious entries and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AutoRun.ad \DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AutoRun.ad \UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AutoRun.ad \ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\AutoRun.ad \DisplayName AutoRun.ad
After completing all the above mentioned steps, you need to restart the system in the normal mode to check whether the virus is removed successfully or not.