The Atrax-Tor Botnet is a relatively new variation of the famous Trojan family of computer viruses, and attacks thousands of windows computers in the recent years. This malicious application secretly invades the computer and directly attacks to the windows registry as well as crucial system files. Normally it attacks the exe files first and start automatically every time you starts your windows because of the modifications made in the windows registry. This deadly dangerous Trojan infection spreads through various different ways including the p2p file sharing, visiting compromised websites, spam email attachments and using infected removable storage devices. Once entered in the computer, the Atrax-Tor Botnet directly affect the overall performance of the PC and you will notice that a number of weird things occurred. Your browsing efforts redirected towards unknown websites and all this activity is targeted to access your personal information and eventually steal your money.
The Manual Removal of Atrax-Tor Botnet
Once the system becomes the victim of the Atrax-Tor Botnet, you have to learn how to remove this tricky Trojan virus. You can delete this malicious application through manual removal process and also by choosing any reliable automatic removal tool. Remember that the automatic method is easy for the novice users as compared to the manual removal instructions. The manual removal steps of this trojan virus are as under:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
Restart the computer and use the F8 key to access the boot options during the computer is restarted. You have to choose the safe mode option from the list and press the enter key to restart the system in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
The next important step of this manual removal process is the removal of the malicious processes added by this Trojan infection. In this regard, press the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the windows task manager, and click the processes tab to see the list of running processes. Delete the following malicious processes associated to the Atrax-Tor Botnet:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
After getting through with the removal of the corrupt processes, you have to take care of the associated data. In this regard, you have to delete the following suspicious files from the system files folder:-
- %Desktopdir%\Atrax-Tor Botnet.lnk
- %Programs%\Atrax-Tor Botnet\Atrax-Tor Botnet.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Access to the start menu, select on the Run option and write “regedit” in the box to open the registry editor. Delete the following corrupt entries from the windows registry by using the registry editor and close it:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Atrax-Tor Botnet\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Atrax-Tor Botnet
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Atrax-Tor Botnet\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Atrax-Tor Botnet\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Atrax-Tor Botnet\DisplayName Atrax-Tor Botnet
Once all of the above mentioned steps completed successfully, it is time to restart the PC in the normal mode to check the effect of recent changes. Do not forget to run a complete system scan after updating the existing antivirus program.