The Atrax is a malicious application belongs from the famous Trojan horse generic family of infections. This nasty Trojan horse is considered as extremely dangerous that can easily multiply itself, and blocks some of the important system utilities including the task manager and registry editor. Once the Atrax virus enters in the system, it creates the backdoor for the additional parasites by changing the windows firewall, and disables the antivirus to avoid the detection. This nasty Trojan horse is distributed via spam emails, compromised websites, and p2p file sharing networks. This malicious application can infect all the versions of the windows operating system including the XP, Vista, Windows7, and Windows8. This is a serious threat for the overall performance of the computer as it can damage the windows registry, and important system files. The Atrax Trojan contains the keyloggers that record your keystrokes and transfer this information to the remote hackers who then use this information to steal your money.
Removal of Atrax
Once it becomes obvious that the Atrax virus enters in the system, you have to select a suitable method to get rid of this dangerous trojan quickly. There are manual as well as automatic removal options available, and both methods have their own advantages and drawbacks. The steps involved in the manual removal of this malicious application are as under:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
It is impossible to delete this nasty Trojan horse by remaining in the normal mode; therefore, you have to boot the system in the safe mode. In this regard, open the boot options menu by using the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarted, and select the safe mode before pressing the Enter key to boot the system in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
After accessing the safe mode, the next thing you have to do is, get rid of the malicious processes associated with this Trojan horse. Access the task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together, and select the Processes tab to remove the following associated processes of this threat by using the “End Process” button before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
Open the system files folder through file explorer, and remove the following files associated with the Atrax:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, you have to remove the fake entries from the windows registry. Access the registry editor by executing the Regedit command through the Run option available in the Start menu. After accessing the registry editor, you have to remove the following malicious entries from the windows registry:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Atrax\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Atrax\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Atrax\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Atrax\DisplayName Atrax
Restart the system in the normal mode to see how effectively you have followed the manual removal instructions, and run a complete system scan after updating your existing antivirus software.