The Arestocrat Malware is a dangerous application created by the hackers to take the complete control of the targeted windows based computers. Once installed, the Arestocrat Malware hijacks your computer in a way that you are unable to access many of your important programs and files. This malicious application adds the startup entry in the windows registry through which it starts automatically every time you run your windows operating system. This malware is considered as a ransomware which shows that this is an alert from the US Department of the Justice, and tell you that you are involved in the child pornography or any other serious cyber crime due to which your computer is locked down. You will be asked to pay a certain amount which is usually $300 to unlock your computer, but this is fake and even if you pay such amount, your computer will never be unlocked by these notorious cyber crooks.
The Manual Removal of Arestocrat Malware
Once the presence of the Arestocrat Malware confirmed, you have to find an effective method of removing this virus completely. You can get rid of this application manually as well as by using any automatic tool. The chances of the success of the manual removal procedure depend on the level of the expertise of the user. The steps involved in the manual removal process are detailed below:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
Before start deleting the virus you have to start your PC in the safe mode. Restart the system, and while the system restarts, you have to press the F8 key repeatedly to access the boot options menu. Select the safe mode and hit the Enter key.
Kill the Associated Processes
After restarting the computer in the safe mode, you have to access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Once the task manager is accessed, select the processes tab and remove the following associated processes of this stubborn malware from the list quickly:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
After that you have to open the system files folder, and remove the following suspicious files:-
- %Desktopdir%\Arestocrat Malware.lnk
- %Programs%\Arestocrat Malware\Arestocrat Malware.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
This stubborn ransomware application cannot be removed completely unless you do not remove the malicious entries from the windows registry. This can be done by accessing the registry editor through the Run option of the Stat menu. Once the registry editor accessed, you have to delete the following associated entries of this browser hijacker, and close the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Arestocrat Malware\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Arestocrat Malware
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Arestocrat Malware\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Arestocrat Malware\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Arestocrat Malware\DisplayName Arestocrat Malware
To see the success or failure of the manual removal process, you have to restart the system in the normal mode. Update your existing anti virus program to run a system scan on the PC.