Besides that, this dangerous toolbar virus also displays a number of annoying pop-up ads on a regular basis on the screen of the infected computers. These pop-up ads are mostly related to the discounted coupons, online deals and other online offers. This malicious application is bundled with other third party programs that can cause severe damage to your computer as well as data. This dangerous tool is used by the hackers to generate traffic to the desired websites by using the illegal and unethical methods. Besides that, some of the cyber crooks also use this application as a tool to generate profits by selling the affiliate products. Once installed, this malicious virus hides itself wisely, and it is not possible for the latest version of the antivirus program to detect or remove it easily.
The Manual Removal of Anywhere.me
Once this virus attacks your computer, and create its roots in the system, you have to delete this application at your earliest to minimize the damage. The Anywhere.me toolbar can be removed either by using any reliable automatic removal tool, or with the help of manual removal method that consists of the following steps:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
First of all you need to start your computer in the safe mode instead of the normal mode of running. In this regard, you have to restart the computer, and press the F8 key repeatedly to see the boot options list. Select the safe mode from the list of boot options and press the enter key to restart your computer in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
Remove the associated processes of this malicious application from the computer. Open the windows task manager by using the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together. Under the processes tab, you can see these processes that you need to delete:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
You have to delete the following associated files of this malicious application from the system files folder
- %Desktopdir%\Anywhere.me Toolbar.lnk
- %Programs%\Anywhere.me Toolbar\Anywhere.me Toolbar.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The next step of the manual removal is removing the malicious entries from the windows registry by using the registry editor which can be accessed by running the “RegEdit” command through the Start menu. Once the registry editor accessed, you have to remove the following entries:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Anywhere.me Toolbar\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Anywhere.me Toolbar
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Anywhere.me Toolbar\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Anywhere.me Toolbar\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Anywhere.me Toolbar\DisplayName Anywhere.me Toolbar
Reboot the computer in the normal mode to see the effectiveness of the manual removal process after closing the registry editor. Besides that, you are also required to run a complete system scan on your computer.