The Adware. Playtopus is a malicious application that is categorized as an adware program. Once installed, this dangerous adware display annoying pop-up ads on the screen of your computer that are targeted to promote a certain product or service. Besides that, this adware makes your computer behave weirdly once installed, and speed also reduces considerably. You will start feeling that the system is slow to respond whenever you give any command. This malicious application changes all your default settings, disable your antivirus software, and open backdoor for the additional malware. The notorious hackers, and cyber criminals use this tool in order to record your online activities and other sensitive information such as bank account details, credit card numbers, emails, passwords, browsing history, and shopping preferences. This information is being used in the frauds, and other cyber crimes. Once installed, it changes the DNS settings of your computer, and redirect all your searches towards desired websites where you are asked to buy unknown products.
The Manual Removal of Adware.Playtopus
Once the system compromised to the Adware. Playtopus, you need to delete this virus quickly but dropping all other work. You can manage to remove the Adware. Playtopus either by using a powerful automatic removal tool, or by following the instructions of the manual removal method.. If you prefer to delete this infection manually, you have to follow the instructions mentioned below:-
Start the System in Safe Mode
Before going for the actual removal of this adware, you have to reboot the system, and use F8 key to see the boot options. Select the safe mode, and hit the enter key to restart the computer in the safe mode.
Kill the Associated Processes
Once system start operating in the safe mode instead of the normal mode, you have to hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to open the windows task manager. You have to click on the processes tab where you can see a list of running processes. You need to delete the following associated processes of this virus:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Delete the Associated Files
After removing the processes related to this adware, you have to find as well as delete the following files associated with this adware from the system files folder as quickly as possible:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
Once the above mentioned steps are completed, you have to remove the corrupt registry entries created by this malicious application in the windows registry. You have to open the registry editor by clicking on the start button, select run option and write “regedit” in the box to access the registry editor. Find and delete the following entries from the windows registry:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adware.Playtopus\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adware.Playtopus\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adware.Playtopus\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adware.Playtopus\DisplayName Adware.Playtopus
Restart the system in the normal mode after closing the registry editor. Before running the complete system scan on the computer update the antivirus software.