The Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads is a malicious application classified as a redirect virus that can infect all the popular browsers, including the Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. After attacking the system, the Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads immediately modify the home page, default search provider, and other important browser search provider, and other important browser settings in order to take the control of your browsing. After recording your browsing preferences, this malicious application starts showing you the ads that are relevant to your interests. Besides that, the Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads also modify the windows registry, and remove some of the crucial system files due to which your system start behaving weirdly. This malicious application eats a high percentage of CPU resources due to which the speed of the computer affected badly, and you are unable to open anything. It also blocks the system utilities like task manager, and registry editor.
Removal of Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads
The Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads is a deadly dangerous redirect virus that is required to be removed quickly after confirming its presence. You can find any powerful automatic tool to get rid of this virus within just a few clicks of the mouse. Besides that, you can also get rid of this infection manually by following the steps mentioned below:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
The process of removing this virus manually started only after booting the system in the safe mode. In this regard, you have to restart the system, and press the F8 key repeatedly to open the boot options screen. Select the safe mode option from the list, and strike the Enter key to boot the PC in the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
You have to hold the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together to access the windows task manager, and click on the Processes tab under the task manager window to see the list of processes running in the background of your system. Remove the following corrupt processes from the list before closing the task manager window:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].ex
Remove the Associated Data
After getting rid of the corrupt processes, you have to delete the following suspicious files associated with the Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads from the system files folder:-
- %Desktopdir%\Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads.lnk
- %Programs%\Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads\Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads.lnk
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
In the end, you have to clean the windows registry to complete the manual removal process. Open the registry editor by clicking the Start menu, select Run option, and type “RegEdit” in the box. You have to delete the following entries associated with the Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads\DisplayName Ads.xtargeting.com pop-up Ads
Close the registry editor, and check the effectiveness of the manual removal process by rebooting the system in the normal mode. Run a complete system scan after updating the existing antivirus software to remove any infections caused by this virus.