The ActiveX_blocklist is a computer virus that is categorized as a nasty spyware designed and developed by the notorious hackers to earn money through illegal methods. This malicious application attacks the windows based systems secretly without providing any information to the user, and execute automatically every time the user starts the operating system. First of all he ActiveX_blocklist changes the basic default settings in your PC and disables your security tools along with the windows firewall to avoid any kind of detection or removal effort. After that, it starts performing fake scans on the system, and shows that your PC has got several errors. When you try to get rid of these errors, the hackers try to convince you to purchase the paid version of this so called antivirus program. Keep in mind that the ActiveX_blocklist is not a tool that protects your PC, instead of that it is a spyware that can harm your system in many different ways.
The Manual Removal of ActiveX_blocklist
Once this spyware attacks your computer, you can see that the task manager and antivirus is disabled; therefore, you cannot remove it through traditional removal methods. The Adware ActiveX_blocklist virus can be removed automatically, and also manually. The more experienced users can try the manual removal method as per following instructions:-
Change the Mode of Operation from Normal to Safe Mode
You have to start the infected system in the safe mode to start the manual removal process. Restart the PC so that the normal mode can be terminated, and use the F8 key repeatedly while the system is restarting to access boot options. You have to choose the Safe Mode option from the list and hit the Enter key to start the safe mode.
End the Malicious Processes
Access the windows task manager by holding the Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys together so that the associated processes of the ActiveX_blocklist infection can be removed. Click on the processes tab from the task manager window to see a list of processes running in the background of your PC. You have to kill the following suspicious processes separately through the End Process button before closing the task manager:-
- %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
Remove the Associated Data
Open the file explorer, and locate the following suspicious files so that the associated data of the ActiveX_blocklist can be removed:-
Reverse the Modification in the Windows Registry
The most important step of this whole process is removing the startup keys and other entries from the windows registry. In this regard, access the registry editor by clicking on the star menu, select Run, and type Regedit in the box to open the registry editor. Remove the following corrupt entries by using the registry editor:-
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ActiveX_blocklist\DisplayIcon %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe,0
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ActiveX_blocklist\UninstallString “%AppData%[RANDOM CHARACTERS][RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\[RANDOM CHARACTERS] %AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ActiveX_blocklist\ShortcutPath “%AppData%\[RANDOM CHARACTERS]\[RANDOM CHARACTERS].exe” -u
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ActiveX_blocklist\DisplayName ActiveX_blocklist
In the end, you have to restart the PC in the normal mode after closing the registry editor window, and update the existing antivirus to scan the system for infections.